The Richmond Fellowship Society (RFS), Bangalore started the Richmond Fellowship Post Graduate College for Psychosocial Rehabilitation (RF PG) in the year 1999. The college offered a M.Sc. in Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Counselling, recognized by the Government of Karnataka and the Rehabilitation Council of India and affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences. The College had a Memorandum of Understanding with the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, (NIMHANS) Bangalore.
The M Sc. Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR) course was designed for acquisition of skills through practical hands-on training including essential counselling skills required by a mental health practitioner. As part of their curriculum, the students were exposed to research practices in the form of a dissertation in the II year on relevant topics in the field of mental health.
DUE TO UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES THE COLLEGE HAS BEEN CLOSED FROM THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2015
- Research Project of Indian Council of Medical Research on the topic “Perceptions Attitudes and Experience towards Sexuality of People with Severe Mental illness”
- Training Programmes for Therapy Support Specialists for Strides – Shasun Ltd., Bangalore
- Training & Consultancy Service for an upcoming Cancer Hospital, Bangalore
- Short Term Courses in Psychosocial Rehabilitation & Basic Counselling Skills of 3 months duration
- Block Placement / Internship / Concurrent field work: Post Graduate students studying for Master’s in Social work/clinical psychology from different Universities / Institutions, as part of requirement of their courses, are provided ‘hands on’ experience and didactic teaching at the RF facilities for a period ranging from 15-45 days
- “Identification and redressal of stigma associated with Mental illness in rural and semi-urban communities of Karnataka” funded Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt., of India
- “A comparative study to assess the quality of life and rehabilitation needs amongst the elderly persons with mental illness in rural and urban areas” with funding from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi
- Dharitri R, Rao S N, Kalyanasundaram S. Stigma of mental illness: An interventional study to reduce its impact in the community. Indian Journal of Psychiatry 2015; 57(2):165-173.
- Kalyanasundaram S and Johnson Pradeep R. Organic Mental Disorders. In: VYAS J.N and Ghimire Shree Ram, editors. Essentials of Post Graduate Psychiatry.2nd ed. New Delhi: Paras Medical Publisher; 2015. p. 103-160
- “A glimpse into the mind of an expert” an interview with Dr.Kalyanasundaram published in the “Loudspeaker magazine – Amplifying the voice of mental health” Autumn issue, 2014 (released in January 2015) published by NIMHANS Centre for Well Being.
- Dr.Kalyanasundaram’s interview highlighting Mental Health Issues in the IT Industry was published in the New Indian Express on 8th February 2015, an article written by Ms.Saritha Rai.
- Dr. Kalyanasundaram. S. Relevance of Residential Care Facilities: in Low and Middle Income Countries was published in Souvenir of 5th Asia Pacific Regional Conference on Psychosocial Rehabilitation
- The International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation Volume 19, Number 2 July 2014 -June2015 Group Intervention in a Therapeutic Community for Persons with Chronic Mental Illness Dharitri Ramaprasad, PhD1 S. Kalyanasundaram, MD2
- Dharitri R, Suryanarayana Rao N, Kalyanasundaram S. Disability and quality of life among elderly persons with mental illness. Asian J Psychiatry 2015 Dec:18:31-36
Review of the book published by RF PG College
Dr.Mohan K Isaac, Professor of Psychiatry, University of Western Australia had graciously agreed to do the book review of the publication of RF PG College on “Research in Psychosocial Rehabilitation, Dissertation summaries of RF PG College students : 1999-2011”, which is compilation of their dissertation work conducted by these students as part of their M.Sc. course. This review has been published in the Indian Journal of Psychiatry Ref: Isaac Mohan. Research in Psychosocial Rehabilitation (book review). Indian J Psychiatry 2014; 56 (4) :413
- Shreedevi AU, Ross Diana and Kalyanasundaram S. Application of the Strengths-based Approach in the Process of Psychosocial Rehabilitation. In: Francis, Abraham, P. and Others, editors. Advancing Social Work in Mental Health through Strengths-Based Practice. Brisbane: Primrose Hall Publishing; 2014. P.105-119.
- Kalyanasundaram, S. Challenges and ways forward. In: Francis Abraham P, editor. Social Work in Mental Health. Areas of practice, Challenges and way forward. New Delhi: Sage Publications; 2014. P. 231-243
- Sahu KK, Niveditha S, Dharitri R, and Kalyanasundaram S. A Decade and Half of Day Care Service for Persons with Psychiatric Disabilities: The RFS (I) Experience. International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation. 2014, Vol 18(2) 37-47
- Kalyanasundaram, S and Sekhar, Niveditha. Creating Supportive Communities in Mental Health: The RFS (I) Experience in Bangalore, India. In: Pulla, Venkat, et al, editors. Papers in Strengths Based Practice. New Delhi: Allied Publishers Pvt. Ltd; 2012. p176-190.
- Usha Sundaram, Dharmakeerti. How to Reach your Inner Self- a Tantric Yoga Perspective. In: Pulla, Venkat, et al, editors. Papers in Strengths Based Practice. New Delhi: Allied Publishers Pvt. Ltd; 2012.p43-51.
- Kalyanasundaram S. Geetha PM and Niveditha. Rehabilitation of mentally ill. In: Directorate General of Health Services, Government of India, editor. “Mental Health in India” (in press).
- Ramaprasad D. The Art and Science of Studying. New ed. Bangalore: Sawanna Enterprises; 2012.
- Dharitri R ,Lata H and Kalyanasundaram S, editors. Dissertation summaries of RFPG College students; 1999-2011.Bangalore, Richmond Fellowship Postgraduate College for Psychosocial Rehabilitation, 2012.
- Dharitri R, Rao NSN and Kalyanasundaram S. Comparative Study to assess the Quality of Life and Rehabilitation Needs of Elderly Persons with Severe Mental Illness in Rural and Urban areas: A pilot study. Bangalore, Richmond Fellowship Postgraduate College for Psychosocial Rehabilitation, 2012.
- Albert S C,Sahu K K, Dharitri R and Kalyanasundaram, S. A Person’s view of life and quality of life enjoyment and satisfaction in a half-way home. International Journal of Mental Health. 2011-12 Winter;;40(4): 64-85.
- Geetha P Menon, T. Murali and Kiran Rao. Public Attitudes Towards Mental Illness in Bangalore: An Exploratory Study. Artha Journal of Social Sciences, 2012; 11(1):1-18
- Dharitri R and Lata Hemchand. Use of Stories in Counselling and Psychotherapy- An Indian Experience. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 2011; 27(3-4): 125-131.
- Rupasri C, Dharitri R, Kalyanasundaram S and Rao NSN. Efficacy of Psychosocial Rehabilitation Program: RFS Experience. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 2011; Jan-Mar;53(1): 45-8.
- Dharitri R, Maria SV, Sheeba M, and Rao, NSN. Psychiatric Disability among Persons with Schizophrenia. Disabilities and Impairments. 2011; 25(1&2): 7-12
- Kalyanasundaram S and Dharitri R, editors, Introduction to common Psychiatric Illnesses. Bangalore, Richmond Fellowship Postgraduate College for Psychosocial Rehabilitation, 2010.
- Kalyanasundaram S. Non-Pharmacological Approaches: Patient centered approaches. In: Krishnamoorthy ES, Cummings J and Prince M, editors. Dementia: A Global Approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2010. p.117-121
- Shreedevi AU, Prakashi R. Psychosocial issues of women with epilepsy: A special reference to mental health. In: Sekar K, et al, editors. Women and Mental Health. Bangalore: National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences; 2010. p.121-127.
- Prafulla S, Suman MK and Dharitri R. Family Burden and Rehabilitation Need of beneficiaries of a Rural Mental Health Camp in a Southern state of India. International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation. 2010;15(2) 5-12.
- Kamlesh KS, Sophia CA, Dharitri R & Kalyanasundaram S. Met and Unmet Needs of Persons with Severe Mental Illness in a Half Way Home. International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation. 2010; 15(2): 13-22.
- Kamalesh KS, Kalyanasundaram S, Dharitri R and Ashby T. Employability and Challenges in Employment for Persons with Schizophrenia. Video Journal Psychiatry.2010: 01 (Research Poster. Exhibition date: 17/12/2008)
|Sl. No.||Names||Dissertation title||Year|
|Attitude toward mental illness and Stigma|
|1.||Nithya Mary Philip||Orientation Towards Mental Illness in Families.||1999-2001|
|2.||Tarannum Taj||A Comparative Study of Medical and Non-Medical Students on their Orientation Towards Mental Illness.||2002-2004|
|3.||Mallikarjuna SH||Orientation towards Mental Illness in a Rural Community.||2004-2006|
|4.||Cliftin Mathai MK||Stigma: Towards Mental Illness among Medical Students.||2006-2008|
|5.||Anarkali Shirodkar||Employer’s Attitude Towards Employing Persons with Disability (PWD’s).||2006-2008|
|6.||Sneha Kumar||Self-stigma and Self-esteem among persons with mental |
|7.||Harpreet Kaur||A Study on the Stigma of Mental Illness and Expressed Emotions Amongst Caregivers of Persons with Schizophrenia.||2011-2013|
|1.||Manoranjitha KSD||Burnout amongst Counselors working with People Living with HIV/AIDS.||2005-2007|
|2.||Sahu Satyabrata||Burnout and Coping patterns among IT Professionals: A Preliminary Exploration.||2008-2010|
|3.||Divya||A Comparative Study on Burnout Among the Female Nurses Working in General and Psychiatric Hospitals.||2011-2013|
|1.||Shruthi. B||Experience of care giving in Relatives of Persons with Severe Mental Illness.||2010-2012|
|2.||Zainab Johar||A Study on the Relationship Between the Social Functioning of Persons with Major Mental Illness and the Quality Of Life of their Primary Caregivers.||2011-2013|
|1.||Shweta Srinivas||Attention Retraining of Patients with Schizophrenic Effect on their Social Functioning and Work performance.||2004-2006|
Cognitive Retraining for Patients with Schizophrenia.
|3.||H.N. Srilakshmi||A Study on Screening for Impact of Cognitive Retraining on Neurocognition, Social Cognition and Insight in Chronic Mental Illness.||2010-2012|
Burden Experienced by the Caregivers of the Mentally Ill.
|2.||Ashwini S Murthy||Burden among Caregivers of Patient’s suffering from Chronic Renal Failure and Chronic Mental Illness.||200-2005|
Burden of Families of Women with Schizophrenia.
|4.||Prafulla S||Assessment of Family Burden and Rehabilitation need among |
the beneficiaries of a Rural Mental Health Camp.
|5.||Oindrila Dutta||Extent of burden on and resilience among families of persons |
with chronic mental illness.
|6.||Ramya R||Family burden of caregivers of patients with obsessive |
|7.||Rupa R||Comparative study of Stress and Coping among parents of children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders (ADHD) |
and parents of Normal Children.
Family Mental Health
|1.||Ruth Marie||Coping Patterns of Families with Members Having Major Mental Illness.||1999-2001|
|2.||Smitha E R||A Study of Interaction Patterns in the Families of Alcohol Dependent Individuals.||1999-2001|
|3.||Smitha Maria Rozario||Coping Pattern of Caregivers of Mentally Challenged Children.||2000-2002|
|4.||Ranjitha M K||Psychiatric Morbidity of Wives of Alcoholics.||2002-2004|
|5.||Shivani||Comparative study on mental health status of parents of children with Mental Retardation and parents of Non-disabled children.||2009-2011|
|6.||Deepika L||A comparative study of Stress and Coping of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Parents of Normal Children.||2009-2011|
|7.||Aparna Venuri||Study of Perceived Parenting Styles and Self-Esteem of Adolescents.||2011-2013|
|8.||Neha Seshadrinath||A Gender Comparative Study on Perception of Parenting Styles and Differentiation of Self Among Young Adults.||2011-2013|
Geriatric Mental Health
A Study on the Life Satisfaction of the Elderly Men.
|2.||Sheela S.||Socio-Demographic Profile and Health Status of Elderly in Old Age Homes.||2003-2005|
|3.||Sugandhi ASM||Social Support and Depression among Elderly: A Comparative Study between Urban and Rural Population.||2006-2008|
Quality of Life in Elderly Persons Living with their Families.
Psycho-Education and Medication Compliance
|1.||Sumana BG||Effect of Psycho-Education on the attitude towards Medication among the Chronic Mentally Ill.||2003-2005|
|2.||Yeshwanth G||Attitude towards Medication and reasons for Noncompliance to medication among Chronic Mentally Ill people in Rural area.||2009-2011|
Quality of Life
Quality of Life of Patients with Schizophrenia in Rehabilitation.
Quality of Life of Woman in Sheltered Homes.
|3.||Sowmya S Kukillaya||A Study on the Quality of Marital Life of Alcohol Dependent Individuals.||2001-2003|
Quality of Life of Individuals with HIV.
Quality of life of Alcohol Dependent Individuals.
|6.||Shruthi HN||Quality of Life and Psychiatric Morbidity among People with Physical Disabilities.||2004-2006|
|1.||Banu Rekha Balaji||Occupational Therapy in Vocational Training for People with Schizophrenia |
(2 case studies).
|2.||Maria S Vithika|
Psychiatric Disabilities of Persons with Schizophrenia.
|3.||Pavithra S Raghava||Perception of Rehabilitation needs by persons with Schizophrenia and their Families.||2003-2005|
Relationship of expressed emotions with symptoms in Schizophrenia.
|5.||Uday Shankar Das||A study of substance use by the persons with Severe Mental Illness( Schizophrenia and Affective Disorders).||2009-2011|
|6.||Silvy John||A comparative study of caregiver burden of persons with Schizophrenia not attending and attending a day care center||2009-2011|
|7.||Nikitha Harish||A Study of the Self-Esteem and Social Occupational Functioning among persons with Schizophrenia.||2012-2014|
|8.||Vishwanath. S||Relationship Between creativity and social occupational Functioning Among Persons with Schizophrenia.||2012-2014|
|9.||Meghna Anna Oommen||A Comparative Study of Interaction Patterns in Families of Individuals with Schizophrenia and Affective Disorders.|
Stress and Coping
|1.||Zubina Huq||Coping Patterns of Individuals with HIV/AIDS.||2001-2003|
|2.||Priyanka Rao||Stressful life events in Depression.||2002-2004|
|3.||Alice Aloysius||A Study on Job Stress among Professionals working with the Mentally Ill.||2004-2006|
|4.||AnutaDahal||Psychological Stress among People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHAs).||2004-2006|
|5.||Sudarshan H L||Stress and Coping pattern among Adolescents residing in Slums.||2008-2010|
|6.||Ramya K||Psychiatric morbidity and coping among children of parents with alcoholism.||2009-2011|
|7.||Manasa P R||To Study the Psychosocial Stress, Coping and Suicidal Risk Among Sexual Minorities.||2011-2013|
|8.||Madhura Joshi||A study of Occupational Stress among Special Educators in the State of Goa.||2013-2015|
Student Mental Health
|1.||Harathimala||Attitude towards seeking Professional Counseling among Undergraduate Students: An exploratory study.||2009-2011|
Impact of life skills training among Adolescents.
|3.||Vibha Shankar Sharma||Perception of student mental health concerns amongst teachers of Private and Government Middle Schools in Bangalore.||2009-2011|
|4.||ShafiaAman||A Study on Self-Esteem and Subjective Well-Being Among College Students.||2011-2013|
|5.||Vincy R||A Study on Ego Defense Style and Adjustment Among College Students.||2011-2013|
|6.||Bhuvaneshwari. P||A Comparative Study on the Assessment of Social and Emotional Adjustment Level among High School Students.||2012-2014|
|7.||Preeti Pandey||A Study on the extent of the use of Internet among Adolescents.||2012-2014|
|1.||Pavithra V.||A Study of Subjective Well-Being of Caregivers of Mentally Ill.||1999-2001|
|2.||Chahal Harpreet Kaur||Subjective Well Being of Siblings of Mentally Ill.||2002-2004|
Women’s Mental Health
|1.||Dr. Shalini Hiremath||Postnatal Depression among Postpartum Women.||2010-2012|
|2.||Shruthi Rajalakshmi C||An Exploratory Study of Meaning Making and Subjective Well-Being Among Women Diagnosed with Breast Cancer.||2011-2013|
Perception of Self Amongst the Mentally Ill.
Mental Health Status of Street Children.
Mental Health Status of the Hearing Impaired.
|4.||Prabha||Psychological distress among chronic renal failure patients undergoing Maintenance Hemodialysis.||2002-2004|
|5.||Jessy Joseph||Community Mental Health Initiative: A Kerala Experience with special Reference to Kannur District.||2005-2007|
Emotional Empathy among Health and Mental Health Professionals.
Knowledge and Attitude towards Cancer among General Population.
|8.||Tejaswini Kodandarama||A Comparative Study of Knowledge About Mental Illness Amongst General Medical Practitioners and Degree College Lecturers.||2011-2013|
|9.||Prathiksha Shukla||Evaluation of Physical and Psychological Changes among people who |
work in Shifts.
|10.||Nithya J Rao||Religiosity and Resilience among Persons Suffering from Chronic Renal Failure.||2013-2015|